Friday, June 24, 2016

Focus on Jesus not the Storm

Good morning Jesus! Lord I have sensed you saying something about how common it is in this version of the world for people to be in my position. That it is just another suffering servant / man of sorrows thing.

Yes my son, I have made you unique in many ways but this is not one of them. Countless of my sons and daughters throughout history have experienced the same things you have in this area and are experiencing it today more than ever. To have a demon / oppressor / slaver exalted to a level of a god in a culture is quite common. In fact it is so common as to seem normal in your times. Consider the phrase 'Truth in advertising' … what a joke!! Seriously!?! Hahaha! I find that one humorous, that they have to legislate that there must at least be a grain of truth in their adds. So many of the promises in these adds are so oppressive and they draw people pied piper like deeper into their addictions.

The advertising world, driven by consumerist greed, avarice and acquisitiveness fuels the compulsive behaviors of so many of my children. It does this unapologetically and the compulsions themselves become mandated gods who oppress and enslave people and demand worship. Think of the entire food empire, alcohol, clothing, tobacco, coffee, soda pop, energy drinks, prescription drugs… All of them glamorized beyond reason and promising what they cannot possibly deliver. All of them oppressing and enslaving countless thousands and in each case the culture gets on board embracing them as the best thing ever. Moby said it well, everything is wrong in this area.

So you are not alone at all. Most of my children daily face a world that holds out the oppressors and slavers in their lives as good guys that are here to help them. There is nothing new under the sun. Indeed, the demons of lust and compromise are certainly two of the worst and most ubiquitous. Fear not however, these passions are no match for a soul that abides in me. For where I am, as you have both heard and seen, the demons flee. I have overcome the world. Go forth today encouraged in that truth, for I am the Truth, the Way and the Life!


Thank you Jesus for bringing this all together for me this morning! I am so grateful for you encouraging words. I love you Lord!

In light of this truth I see how fruitless it is to be resentful towards my oppressors/slavers and those who either purposely our unintentionally embrace them as pals. I am instead to focus on Jesus, gaze into his face and walk on the water towards him ignoring the waves and the wind and the lightning and the rain!
Fantastic view from underwater
By Yongsung Kim

Lord I surrender all my resentment and anger towards this world full of demonic waves, oppressors, slavers and full of people like myself who have embraced them as friends. I completely trust you Lord as I walk out onto these chaotic waters and happily ignore the demons swirling around me and I gaze on your face. Only you can keep me afloat. Only you can give me the eyes of compassion I need to see those around me that are in the same situation, struggling to look to you and like me often sinking into the water and crying out for help.